- Turn off your water supply. Keeping your water shut off while away from home is a good practice to help prevent any potential leaks. This is especially important if you ever leave your home during the winter months.
- Make sure all of the windows and openings to the home are closed and locked. Appliances should be unplugged, the oven should be checked that it is off.
- Take out any trash in your home, and clean out your refrigerator of perishables and items with short expiration dates. This will help prevent you from searching your house for any putrid odors when you return. You can also freshen your garbage disposal and drains with some baking soda and vinegar.
- Let your bank know you will be traveling so they don't accidentally freeze your account. Payments made in other states or countries can sometimes cause bank trouble.
- Have a friend collect your mail for you, or stop your mail service. Maybe that same friend can also cut your lawn or take care of any pets you may have. Neighbors are good to have!
- Deter any potential home invasions by making it seem the house is occupied. Keep a night light or two on, or set on a timer for your lights so they turn on and off periodically.
- Last but not least, save energy! Adjust your thermostat to an appropriate temperature for the season. If its warm out, use less AC, and if its cooler outside, keep your house at a cool temperature as well.
Going on vacation with the family? Don't forget to protect your home by checking somethings off the list before you pack your bags in the car:
Most homeowners know they need to keep their gutters clean, but what happens when gutters go unchecked for too long? Spring and Fall seasons in Illinois usually include ridiculously excessive amounts of rain, which means your gutters are going to be taking a beating during those seasons. Its important to keep your gutters properly maintained year round, which could mean a cleaning once or twice a year. Leaving your clogged or broken gutter untreated can cost you a lot of money in home repairs. Failure to maintain your gutters could cause some major problems for a home, including everything from roof leaks to foundation damage.
Foundation Damage. Water is a home's worst enemy. Your gutter's job is to direct water away from your house, so that your foundation and property stays dry. Dirty gutters will clog up your system and will often cause water to pour over the edge. If excess water builds up around your house, over time it could lead to cracks and mold in your foundation, and sometimes even foundation collapse. Yikes!
Water backup and Roof Damming. When debris builds up in your gutters and clogs the system, your gutters will overfill and begin spilling over. This excess water can cause damage to your roofs fascia boards, which are made of wood. These can rot pretty quickly, especially if they're constantly saturated with water during rainy seasons. Clogged drains can also cause water to pool up and cause even further damage to your roof, especially during winter months when ice build up thaws and freezes constantly.
Tips. Using a pressure washer can really help thoroughly clean hard to get to areas and reduce the time you spend actually on the ladder with the hose in hand. If you can't find any affordable options at a local hardware store, then you can probably rent a pressure washer for a day from somewhere nearby you. If not, then the traditional hose and gloves trick does the job great too.
Don't forget to seal the edges and connections of your gutters with gutter sealant. Doing this step will help stop leaks and prevent them from forming in the future.
Spending your summer days in Champaign Urbana? Make sure you keep your ears open for awesome summer events here in town! Check out some of these cool summer events below:
Free Fishing Clinics: Visit Crystal Lake Park in Urbana today and learn to fish for free with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. Free Fishing Clinics begin at the Large Pavilion in Crystal Lake Park near the Lake House. Call 367-1544 to reserve your spot. Only 20 spots per clinic. Equipment provided.
Location: Crystal Lake Park, Park and Broadway, Urbana, IL 61801
Orpheum Toddler Tuesday: Every Tuesday from 10:30-11:30 a.m. Come join the fun with activities for toddlers that provide an opportunity to work on developing language, cognitive, and social skills with fun activities based on art, music, games, and other sensory activities. Little ones and their special grown up will enjoy a different topic each week.
Location: Orpheum Children's Science Museum, 346 N. Neil St., Champaign, IL 61820
Date: Tuesdays, June 14, 2016 10:30am to 11:30am
Downtown Champaign Farmer's Market: The Land Connection Champaign Farmers’ Market provides an opportunity for Champaign-area residents to purchase locally-produced fruit, vegetables, dairy, and baked goods.Shoppers will have the chance to buy all kinds of great food in season from a variety of local producers.
Location: Downtown Champaign, Parking Lot M at 310-330 N. Neil, Champaign, IL 61820
Date: Tuesdays, June 14 - Aug 14, 2016 4:00pm to 7:00pm
Friday Night Live!: Downtown Champaign is most vibrant during Friday night Live! Come out and enjoy local artist performances in three different downtown locations!
Location: Downtown Champaign, 302 N. Neil St., Champaign, IL 61820
Date: Friday, June 17, 2016 Starts at 6:00pm
Ford County Fair: Travel the 40 miles to small-town Melvin and go to the fair! Rides and snacks galore, the Ford County Fair is great for all ages. Going on now!
Location: Melvin, IL
Dates: Monday, June 20 - Saturday, June 25
For more, visit www.chambanamoms.com
When building a kitchen in your home, its important to consider creating a physical divider between your kitchen and living room. Usually this exists as a kitchen island or peninsula, and depending on the layout of the space, one may be better suited to your floor plan. Check out these images of kitchen islands and peninsulas and give us your opinions and design preferences!
This weeks Floor Plan Spotlight goes to the Summit House. This newly built home in Savoy can be yours today!
Give us a call at (217) 552-7677 to snatch this home up, You won't want to miss it!
A little information about the home :
2-story Summit Model
3,000 sq.ft. with a finished basement
Granite counter-tops in kitchen and all bathrooms
Hardwood, Tile, and Carpet Flooring
Its already June, and it feels like summers finally getting ready to hit with full force. Thinking of building a home this summer? The time to act is now. Call us or come in and see us at our Design Center and we'll sit down and help create a solution to your dream home. Summers are usually the best time for construction, which also means its the busiest time for us here at Miller Construction, so act fast!
Call to schedule a Discovery Session with us today at (217) 552-7677, and we could have you moved in by the end of the summer!